Thursday, July 14, 2011

In Which I Make a Total (Ha)Boob of Myself

Otherwise entitled

A Text Story


So last Tuesday Andy had an off day. We had gone out to eat that evening and he was kind enough to fill up the gas tank for the mama. I give you that riveting information because I want you to realize that we had JUST been outside. A few minutes after getting settled at the apartment, a good friend from KY sent me this text :



Wanna know why I asked about the picture texts? Because I'm the ninny that put shoes on her kids and leased up the dog to check out the so-called dust storm. Then proceeded to let the four year old walk the dog. Then saw a GIANT wall of dirt in the distance. Then paused long enough to take/text a pic:



The actual photo I sent:





I'm sure you all know what happened next. The big old dust cloud was moving faster than I realized and the very minute I caught up to the girls and told them it'd probably be best if we headed back towards home

it was on us.

And by on us, I mean we couldn't see, we were crunching grit in our teeth and I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry.

Lainey totally flipped and threw the dog leash in the air, while the girls just froze. Their poor little minds could not compute this craziness.

So I grabbed the leash, grabbed the babies by the wrists and instructed Lainey to

RUN!

She was so disoriented she ran directly into the street.

So I fussed again,

Follow the sidewalk and RUN! we are right behind you. GO!

And run we did.

All the way to the front yard of the Myer's house where Corey was taking their flag down and laughing at the idiots who were outside in the storm. He was kind enough to let us in their door and we watched the rest of it unfold from their living room.




Yes, I know I spelled license wrong. That still bothers me.

Yes, the girls are fine. It only took three baths to get all the grit out of their hair.

And I'm sure with a few weeks months of therapy, they won't even remember the incident.

I hope.




ha·boob (h-bb)
n.
A penetrating sandstorm or dust storm with violent winds, occurring chiefly in Arabia, North Africa, and India.


The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.



For more photos of this craziness, go here

No comments:

Post a Comment