Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Merry Happy ThanksChristmas

I have been wracking my brain trying to find a way to describe our holiday season with a cheerful twist and it turns out, I can't. I'm not saying it was bad, but stinky might be the most appropriate word.

Let's recap, shall we?

Halloween was fine. My girls were all decked out as the cutest Minnie Mouses (Minnie Mice?) you've ever seen. This was the first time Lainey actually went to a few neighbors homes for candy and she was thrilled. She said

you mean, it's Halloween at their house, too!?!

Love her.

The pumpkin in inconsequential, I just thought Andy did a really great first-time-ever carving job.

You can't even see the toothpick that's holding the top tooth in.

Also, if you look at the bottom right you'll notice a burnt spot on the top of the pumpkin "lid" (is that what you call it?). I got a little carried away with the size of candle that lit Mr Lantern's face.

My bad.

We hit November with grand intentions. Miss Kendra made the cutest little shirts for all three of my turkeys and Daddy had a great trip to the Dominican Republic with his college baseball coach, Keith Madison, who now works for Score International. This is where things started to get dicey. Andy had a wonderful week in the Dominican, but ate something at the airport on the return trip that had him spending vast amounts of quality time with our Japanese toiled seat.

Don't ask.

Then our little Emmy starting barking. I wish it was because she was already good at animal sounds, but she's not that advanced.

She had croup.

We had some serious bonding time in the bathroom that night with the hot shower going full blast followed by lovely strolls through the moonlight. It was kinda like being at a spa, only it wasn't.

She got better after a few doses of prednisone.

*Note to self - When the pediatrician says that this medication may make her a little cranky, she means, this medication will completely alter your child's personality and will cause her to yell. All day. For five days.

On Thanksgiving Day Andy braved the cold and fried up one great bird. We can't even see damage from the vast amounts of burning oil that may have spilled because we may have measured the amount needed incorrectly.

Except when it rains.

Unfortunately, he didn't really get to enjoy his efforts because it was his first real meal after the airport food incident and he didn't want to push it. The girls looked adorable in their new duds, but of course I don't have a photo of all three of them. That would be a miracle.

Then came December. I hadn't really done much to get ready for Christmas, but really, when I have I ever? I had PLENTY of time to shop, order, wrap and bake the week before the holiday.

Um, not so much.

Poor little Lainey Bug got viral pneumonia and was hospitalized for a week. It was miserable. She was coughing so hard and having such a rough go, it was heartbreaking. When she was admitted she couldn't even talk, it was too much work. I am so thankful for the care she received that week. We've always loved our pediatrician and her nurses in the ped's unit were amazing.

The first day we were in the hospital, Andy got taken off the Mets roster.
Okay, no worries, we knew that might happen.

A few days later, we got a letter in the mail. From the IRS.

Nothing says Happy Holidays like getting audited.

I know, you can hear Patsy Cline rolling in her grave with jealously with all the songs she could have written.

My sincere apologies to Patsy Cline and her entire family is she is indeed, not dead.

Also, thanks doesn't suffice for all the help we got from family and friends that week. Lainey had nearly 1900 visitors (just a guesstimate, I'm not good with numbers) and several friends brought us food that didn't taste like cardboard. Dear Nana kept the Littles ALL week and lived to tell the tale and Lilang came to the hospital every day to entertain the Bug, who was a little bit batty by the time the week was up.

Or maybe that was me.

Christmas Day was good and chaotic, you know, the usual. The Littles weren't really into it so much, but Lainey got a grand kick out of opening presents. Hers and theirs.

They probably won't be as willing to share the joy next year.

Notice those dresses on the girls? I guess I should have tried them out before Christmas day, but the tags said 12 months. Too bad their little bootys hung out the back like they were trying to join a girl band.

Bless them.

We tried to cap off the year quietly........

but learned that the fire department can get to our house in four minutes.

Anna Grace, Lainey and Buike got locked in the car.

Someone, who shall remain nameless, may have gotten excited that he was going with us to visit the cousins and may have put his little paws on the door, and may have hit the lock button.

So that's our holiday extravaganza 2009.

Here's to a quiet 2010.

Which clearly isn't going to happen around here.

And I wouldn't change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment