Friday, June 3, 2011

Totally Tubular

This past winter my Littles had a combined total of 10 ear infections.


Bless their hearts, it seemed like just as soon as they finished the antibiotics we had about a week before we were headed back to the pediatrician's office.

I asked if we could get a group discount on our co-pays.

That was a negative.

During Anna and Emily's two year check-up in February I mentioned my concern about all of the antibiotic intake and our sweet nurse said that they were right on the bubble of needing tubes.

But hopefully, she said,

once you get to Arizona all that dry air and warm weather will stop the runny noses which are leading to the infections.

A girl can dream.

One week into spring training Anna started getting up in the night. A sure sign of ear pain. Off we went to the new pedi's office and yes indeedy, she had an ear infection. Knowing that my girls like to do things together I asked the NP if she would be willing to look in Emily's ears also.

You know, since we're already here and all.

Two for two!

Sheesh. And bless their hearts.

The next appointment I scheduled was with a highly recommended ENT in the area.

Fast forward a few weeks and both girlies, Daddy and I were headed to the surgery center for tubes times two. Thankfully, my mother-in-law was in town so Lainey didn't have to hang out all morning in a waiting room.

You know, because girlfriend has to get her Curious George and Sesame Street fix or her day just isn't right.

My two main concerns were how they would handle being led away from us, and how well they would wake up. One of the nurses who did the pre-registration (over the phone) mentioned that many times the little ones come out of anesthesia screaming because they are so disoriented.

That sounded like loads of fun.

My little Emily went first and she just drove her little buggy car while the nurse pushed her away. Didn't even look back.

We'll miss you too, Em.

Before they even came to get Anna, a nurse informed me that Emily was already done and ready for some love. I kissed Anna on the head and quickly followed the nurse to the other side of the surgery center where I knew right where my Em was.

Because I could hear her fussing from all the way down the hall.

That hurt my heart.

I scooped her up and we got cozy in a recliner while she tried to come out of the fog she was in. Slowly I began to realize that she wasn't so much disoriented as she was mad. Mad about the monitor they had very securely taped to her big toe. She kept screaming

my foot! my foot! my foot!

Sorry, kiddo. Mama can't do anything about that one.

Seconds later Andy came into the room saying that Anna just took the aide's hand and walked away without a care in the world.

Seriously, I think we need to have the stranger-danger talk.


Mere minutes later and Anna was done. We heard her before we saw her. She was freaking out. At this point, Emily had gotten her monitor removed and she was completely back to normal. Drinking out of her sippy, laughing at her daddy's silly faces, picking out princess stickers and staring at Anna like

what the heck is wrong with you?

Anna continued to melt down with such bravado that she plum wore herself out and fell fast asleep.

She slept through the dismissal from the nurses. She slept through the ride home and she even slept through breakfast.

Sister doesn't like to miss a meal.

Once she finally woke up, she and her sweet self were back. And hungry.

Two bowls of cereal, two waffles and a granola bar later all was finally well.


There were two reasons we had the procedure done. The first being we didn't want to keep stuffing their little immune systems with antibiotics. Too much of a good thing can easily become bad.

The second was, they were behind on their speech. Emily was doing a little better than Anna, but poor Anna sounded very garbled. Kinda like she had a mouth full of marbles.

Don't get me wrong, they were talking a ton.

We just didn't understand a blessed word they were saying.

One afternoon Anna came in from the back yard jabbering and carrying on. She was pointing and motioning and I was catching nothing.

Not a word.

And I told her that.

Sugar, I'm so sorry, but I don't know what you need. Can you try again?

So she did. Again. And again for good measure.

When she didn't get the response she wanted from me she threw herself onto the ground and sobbed.

Bless her heart.

So now you're wondering, did it help?


Last week the girls had a cold (yes, they always do these things together).

This week we are playing in the gym, antibiotic free.


And as far as their speech goes?

Be careful what you ask for.

It doesn't stop. From morning til night.


It's wonderful.

Except for gems like this one.

A: Mom, where's my dink (drink)?

Me: In the kitchen.

A: Go get it.

It's probably a good thing I haven't been understanding her til now.

A very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment