Friday, March 4, 2011

Baby, Baby, Baby OOHHH

The last time we Greens were in Arizona for spring training it was in Tucson. It was five years ago. And there were only three of us.

Me, Andy and the dog.

It didn't really take much packing or plotting to get two adults and a small dog across the country. At the time, I thought it was alot of work.

Ha. HAHAHAHAHA. BWAHAHAHA. Ha.

I cracked myself up.

This winter, when Andy signed with the Diamondbacks to be a hitting coach for the rookie ball team, I got a little excited. We really enjoyed our time in AZ, and we have several friends in the area that have never even met our children. (I was pregnant with Lainey when we left).

And then forty seconds later I realized we were going to have to get all three children, the dog and their stuff across the country.

Excitement diminished.

Now, I know what you're thinking.

You've been doing this your whole married life. Why is this different? You had three kids and a dog last year and the year before that....

I'll tell you why. Because since 2008 we've been on the east coast. No matter where went for spring training or the season, we were almost always just a days drive from home.

Last year I drove to and from Buffalo by myself with this crew. Twice.

This year, however, there will be no popping in at home. And that's okay, it just means I'd better not forget anything important. Like the dog. Or Emily.

I kid. I would never forget the dog.

All this to say, once we loaded both cars and the car top carrier (suh-weet!) with the essentials for the next six months (clothes, toys, two pink potties....)we said a prayer for safety and sanity (help me, Jesus!) and hit the open road.

It was smooth sailing for about 15 minutes until I looked back and Em had managed to wiggle one arm out of her buckle.

So I had to pull over before I even made it to the interstate.

Lainey said

are we there?

Oh boy.

Then she had to pee before we made it out of the state.

Oh my lands.

But after that, things really went surprisingly well. There were a few melt-downs when someone got over-tired, but once I got some caffeine, all was well.

We had a few unscheduled potty stops, including one on the side of a snow-covered mountain. Did you know that squatting to pee on the side of the road is a learned skill? Yep, Lainey hasn't conquered that one, yet.

Thank goodness for the pink potties.

I'm also thankful for the daddy who made sure we stopped to stretch little legs, never let me pump gas, and got two great hotel rooms so we could rest.

And for the fact that as the daddy of three girls he knew that sometimes you just have to have an impromptu Justin Beiber dance party in the parking lot of the Travel Stop in Tucumcari, New Mexico.

It was totally necessary.


You know you love me, I know you care
Just shout whenever, and I'll be there
You want my love, you want my heart
And we will never ever ever be apart
.......

2 comments:

  1. So glad you made it! Can't wait to see you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Jessie! Mind if I share it on the baseball wife blog? It's so crazy how having children (well, in my case, one) is SO different from when it was the two of you and the dog. Seriously. Long road trips = over.

    ReplyDelete