Monday, January 31, 2011

Are You Smarter Than a FifthGrader Dishwasher?

My Littles are weird.

I mean they have quirks.

Don't get me wrong, they're super sweet, but really set in their ways.

Actually, what I'm trying to say is they only have one type of sippy cup that they will drink out of.

Both of them.

It's like they're twins or something.

Weird.

And they will only drink water.

No milk, no juice, no ade of the gator, nothing.

Super weird.

And great. Except when they are puking.

Which happened again.

And I don't want to talk about it.

Except to offer this advice: Ice chips, good. Red popsicles, bad.

Sigh.

Anyhoo, the sippy cups.

Both Anna Grace and Emily will only drink out of a certain brand of straw cups.

Hey, Playtex, want to send me some samples? Hello?

Which is fine, even though they require an engineering degree to take apart, wash and put back together. I hand-washed so many bottles during the first year, I just decided to let the dishwasher do the work once we graduated to big girl tumblers.

And then the darn thing up and turned against me.

Over the course of a few days I noticed that more and more straws were missing. At first it was just a little annoying and I thought they would turn up. Seeing as the current favorite game of two little soon to be two-year-olds (!) is

let's empty the silverware drawer. Again.

When I mentioned how irritating it was to have 6 sippy cups and only three straws Andy said

I think the dishwasher ate them.

Surely not. Right? We've used these for almost a year, why now?

Guess what?

The dishwasher ate them.

So I had six clean cups taunting me from the cupboard, but only three working straws.

Flashbacks from late night bottle washing began to flood my mind.

So I decided to take action. I wasn't gonna let the man get me down. I've not yet begun to fight. Nobody puts baby in the corner.

Where was I?

Oh yeah, Operation Straw Retrieval.

First of all, are they really in there?



Well, crap.

Or yay! depending on how you look at it.

My first tool of choice was tweezers. If you saw my school pictures from junior high you would learn (and be thankful) that I'm quite adept at using them.

Bless my heart.

Time to put that talent to good use.

Unfortunately, I pushed them further into the mouth of the motor.

Tweezers, you are dead to me.

Then I had an epiphany. (Read, the Littles had left some chop sticks on the floor that they had kindly removed from the silverware drawer. Again.)

Looks like our time in Japan was going to come in handy.

And indeed, it did.



Mama - 3
Dishwasher - 0

Thankyouverymuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment